Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sex and the City - Part 1

I loved Sex and the City.  I think I saw all the reruns not once, but twice.  I saw the movie too.  Not quite as good as the series, but still in the spirit. 

I envy the closeness of Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha.  I think every woman can see themselves, and/or relate to at least one of the characters in the show, or secretly wish they were more like (insert name of choice here)  Me? before I got married, I was Carrie - yet secretly wishing I had the cojones of Samantha.  My best friend was Samantha - a free spirited ballet dancer trying to make it big in Manhattan, and having a string of relationships that were satisfying, but not in the enduring sense, more in the biblical sense if you catch my drift.... Unwilling to settle for one man, she preferred many.  She had great sarcasm like Sam, and always had a comeback waiting if one was needed. 

My daughter actually got me interested in SATC when the reruns came to TBS - We DVR'd every episode, and then some.  We laughed with the girls, rooted for Aiden, and had a love/hate relationship with Big.  We yelled at the TV, hoping to knock some sense into Carrie, and wished fervently that Charlotte would just follow her heart instead of her dream.  We wanted to smack Miranda when she broke up with Steve.  This show also got me hooked on Cosmos.  No, no no...I don't drink in excess.  Ask my kids.  But I do enjoy a Cosmopolitan every once in a while.

Now, the history differs, but the one constant is the drink was invented in the 1970s.  The official recipe of the IBA (International Bartender's Association) is as follows:

4.0 cl Vodka Citron
1.5 cl Cointreau
1.5 cl Fresh Lime juice
3.0 cl Cranberry juice

Preparation Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and double strain into large cocktail glass. Garnish with lime wheel.

Notes: The drink should be a frothy bright pink colour Also...cl = centiliter - It's metric - something every other country in the world uses but us...think about it.  To simplify things, just substitute "parts" for "centiliter" and you can make the 'part' as much or as little as you want.

I thought a drink like this HAD to be around longer than the 1970s, so I pulled out my trusty "Esquire's Handbook for Hosts", 1949 edition, which was a hand-me-down from my parents. 

Well, actually, it was more of a save from the trash, but I have fond memories of that book.  The cover had cariacatures of famous actors and actresses, and there were a lot of cartoons in the book which I liked to read as a kid, some of which were probably not that appropriate, but at my age, I don't think I "got" them...

"It's Pop! And he's holding up a man on each arm again!"

There were also card games, party games, and recipes for appetizers, some main courses, but mostly tons of alcoholic beverages.  I was really surprised that there were hardly any vodka recipes.  Most were for gin, scotch, bourbon, and mixed drinks.  There was a punch recipe from that book I made once for a bridal shower that got everyone, even the self proclaimed one-in-every-bunch that says "I never drink, and if I do, I never drink enough to get tipsy" - tipsy. This is a punch with a punch.  Make sure you have designated drivers, because you cannot taste the alcohol, and this punch is...well...alcohol and fizzy stuff...'nuff said.  It's absolute yummy, and looks beautiful!  Miranda, Carrie, Samantha, and Charlotte (especially Charlotte) would go wild for it...

It first appeared in 1933, where, I don't know...but it has more history than the Cosmo, and...it's a Pulitzer Prize winning author that "authored" this concoction.  It serves a lot...depending on how much your drinking buddies can put away...

Sinclair Lewis' Punch and if you don't know who Sinclair Lewis is...shame on you!

2/3 cup Lime or Lemon juice (I use 1/3 cup of both)
3/4 lb  of powdered sugar
1 cup cognac
1 cup peach brandy
1/2 cup Jamaican rum
1 quart + 2 cups of carbonated water (selzter)
lemon/lime slices for garnish

1.  Mix the liquor and sugar in a punch bowl until the sugar is dissolved.  Slowly add in the seltzer, then add a generous amount of ice.  Garnish with lemon and lime slices, serve to guests, and watch the hilarity ensue.  I will experiment with the proportions to give you a single serving for "SATC part 2" - I'm sure it will be a reeeeallly tedious task, and not much fun at all *snorts*.  Actually, it's quite a sacrifice on my part, tasting all ratios of this concoction until I get it absolutely perfect *hic* but nothin' izzzzzz mor' impor'nt than makin' it eashy, right?....right?.....RRRRRIIIIGGGHHHT????!!!!! *runs off to the liquor store to buy some peach brandy for "experimentation" purposes only

The girls would be proud :)
P.S. Honestly Tina, I was thinking about doing a blog on Cosmos for my next entry, since I'm kinda tired of putting everyday recipes up...I was starting it today when I read your blog - eep! :-)

Oh...and SATC part 2 WILL have Cosmo recipes in it - promise! :-D

1 comment:

  1. AH! I loved this blog.
    When it comes to my girlfriends, I definitely have a couple groups where we compare ourselves to these women. It's so fun! I've always been Carrie too--'cuz I'm the writer of every group. But my nativity (sp?) has also been compared to Charlotte.
    Again, loooved this blog. can't wait to try the recipes!

    ReplyDelete